Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Much Needed Update

I always thought that I would be the guy that would blog, like, everyday. I mean, as I adjust to this new world, I have new and exciting things happen each day, so why not jot them down. Well, I guess I never accounted for “travel drain”, or whatever you want to call it. In the US we can pretty much go through half of the day, if not more, on full autopilot. At home, I would wake up, make coffee, iron my clothes, kiss Jamie and catch my bus without having to think once. On the way home, I’d get picked up, eat dinner (or be able to order with no issues), and go to bed. Now that I am living in Taiwan, it’s completely different. I have to think about everything, I even think about how I want to sleep at night (fan? fan and AC? maybe just fan and an open window?). When crossing the street I have to think about which way the next flying scooter might be coming at me, and when I’m hungry, I have to think about finding a place which allows me to point, and mutter horrible Chinese.  I’m drained, and I’m having a hard time finding motivation to write!


Anyhow, I’m going to try to break my dry spell by catching everyone up on my time here so far. The first thing I’ll talk about is work, because it’s usually the number one thing on my mind (besides of missing all of you guys, of course). To stay here in Taiwan, I need to be working. Now, most people teach English, which is a pretty cool gig that pays well, has some flexibility, but also has some drawbacks (like kids that don’t want to be there, and sometimes shifty cram school owners). I thought that I would push the boundaries a bit and apply for some jobs that weren’t education related. A month ago or so I applied for a job at Shin Wu Machinery Trading Company, and I was stoked when I found out that I got an interview, which was scheduled on my third day in Taiwan. Upon arrival at Shin Wu, I was pretty impressed with the facility, and the crisp manner in which all employees were behaving. Shin Wu sells machines to large companies that make things like cell phones and computers. They wanted to hire someone who could speak with English customers about products, and also help out on the day to day English end of things.

After a 1.5-hour written exam, a lengthy interview, and a lot of rattled nerves, I found out I got the job! Sweet. So, I arrived for my first day of work two-days ago, and jumped right into learning every nook and cranny of one of their most popular machines, the GTWIII – H Series Laser Drill made by Mitsubishi. This was cool, and I truly enjoyed learning about how a laser beam travels through various lenses and mirrors of the machine and is then directed by a Galvano which allows it to drill tiny holes into PCB at about 2,500 per second. The thing that disgruntled me was the environment. This company is Japanese owned, and run by a large Japanese family. Ok, cool, whatever. But after finding out that time-off, any time off, was a no go, and the pay was pretty good, but not mind shattering, I forced myself to realize that I came to Taiwan to not only work, but to play to, and this job would afford little time for that. So, long story short, I start my new teaching job next Monday at TPS English School in Da-An (Taipei City). I’m pretty stoked to get working, and get in a fairly routine schedule, because right now I don’t have one.

Jamie’s family has been amazing to me. Whenever I start getting that little sinking feeling in my gut that I’m really crazy for being over here, their company, generosity and kindness gets me through. I’ve gone on little trips (you’ll see pics on FB), been shopping, and even ridden on the back of a 150 CC motorcycle through Taipei City (hold the fat jokes).

I’m finally starting to feel like I can do this. I’m transitioning from the mindset of being a visitor in a different country, to knowing that I can do everything I need to do to have fun, make great memories, and enjoy my time. I’m confident with the bus now, I am going to the night market to get food by myself, and I’m doing quite well. With that said, I cannot wait for Jamie to get here. She arrives on September 14th, and it couldn’t be soon enough. You forget how much of a partnership you are in when things are easy, but you sure as heck miss it when things are tough or are different.

I’m excited to start actually studying Chinese, I’m excited for Husky Football/Seahawk Football/Adna Football, I’m excited for making new friends, I’m excited for not taking each day for granted, I’m excited for learning news things and seeing new places, and I’m excited at the prospect of friends/family coming to see us here. OH, and I’m also excited for Jamie to get here because then we can get an apartment AND I can get a scooter. Watch out Taipei, I’m going to rock my scooter.

Love you all, and I promise I’ll TRY to write more.

No comments:

Post a Comment