Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pre-Departure Stress

Maybe it’s just me, but before any big event or move, I find new things to stress out about. I can hear my friends and family chuckling to themselves as they read this thinking that I stress even when I don’t have anything going on, and it’s true. Either way, this “life transition” is really testing my sand (see Gangs of New York for sand reference). What’s crazy, though, is that when I feel like I’m going to explode with nerves, stress and anxiety, I keep getting these waves of peace. I’m not sure if it’s of divine origin, or it’s a result of my growth as a person, but I am finding that I have been handling all of the unknowns pretty well.

To help keep me organized (and lessen my stress even more), I thought I’d list my packing list and some of the things that I have to do before I leave. I also hope that it will help remind of other things that I’m forgetting! If you can think of anything I’m leaving out, don’t hesitate to comment. 

Things I still need to do:

-          Call BECU
-          Go shopping for sunglasses/vision glasses, belt, light clothing, new hat, etc.
-          Clean car thoroughly
-          Pack
-          Get vaccinations if possible
-          Print directions to interview
-          Print ticket/confirmations
-          Visit grandparents
-          Figure out phones
-          Finish Chinese phrase book
-          Help Jamie finish packing house

Things to pack:

-          Clothes, underoos, socks, ties, shoes, hats, one jacket, sunglasses, etc.
-          Personal hygiene items
-          Glasses
-          Work documentation stuff like transcripts, degree, etc.
-          Meds, vitamins, ibuprofen, tums, pepto, some first aid stuff, etc.
-          Biking stuff
-          Passport/Visa
-          Money stuffs
-          Laptop, case, charger
-          iPod
-          Gifts
-          Teaching material
-          Chinese study material
-          Books
-          Any home décor and/or anything Jamie needs me to bring
-          Snacks

Phew, I think that is it! 7 days and counting!

P.S. Here is a photo of the plane I’ll be flying on. I’ve got a really dorky friend who blogs about planes (http://www.airlinereporter.com/) and I’m considering doing a guest blog about my flying experience with EVA. :)


5 comments:

  1. You will be flying on the upperdeck none-the-less! Since I am sure many people will wonder what kind of plane that is -- it's a Boeing 747-400.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the Centrum Silver. There will always be someone somewhere in Taiwan expecting you to bring Centrum Silver from the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought TW had COSTCO now? Either way, I'll put Centrum Silver on the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is believed that American medicine will not be tainted. My in-laws always order Centrum and then give it as gifts. Whenever we get back from the US, my in-laws will start getting visits from family members who "were just in the neighborhood".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear favorite ex-co-worker,
    I am so glad that this day is getting closer to you and you are feeling the anxiety, because this is completely necessary! Hey, think about it, I've been living in a foreign country for seven years (and I arrived with 2% of the English I know now) and I am even studying abroad again now! : ) You will be fine. Don't worry too much, because everything will turn out just right, even if they didn't, you'll still learn a lot! As of your list, I strongly suggest that you buy your glasses/sunglasses in Taiwan, because they can do check-ups for free and style matters! Haha. Jk. But it would be more convenient that you don't have to bring so much with you. Eliminate all you can get in Taiwan. Light clothing and a hat as well, will be really easy to buy in Taiwan. They usually a cheaper if you are not seeking for super high quality. I'm pretty sure that you know to leave anything like shampoo...soap bar....whatever you may buy from 7-11 or familymart at home, or give them to your friends. You will save lots of spaces that way. You can also get a pre-paid phone card at the convenient stores. I would suggest to get 'Chung-Wa Telecom' or 'Asia Pacific Telecom', I have been using CWT for years, they are pretty cheap comparing to 'FarEasTone' and APT is told to be the cheapest if you are calling people within your network. Remember to find the correct way of exchanging your driver's license to a Taiwanese one. You might need to get an international DL, but do check with Washington DOL before you go, in case of any verification issues. : ) OKay, again, you will be fine. Let me know if you need help! Take care. Say hi to Jamie for me!!!

    ReplyDelete